Wednesday 19 April 2017

Brake Pipes

I've not had a lot of time lately to move on with the build, as in my last post i'm building up the money pot a bit for the next big spend.
I had bought the bits to do the brake lines a while ago, but couldn't decide on the routing of the pipes, so after much thought and the need to keep moving on, I've committed myself to the following....... 

Ok, this is the flaring tool you need. I initially bought a cheap tool, £14 for the flaring tool (the type where you clamp the pipe then screw down the flaring bit whilst it's all held in a vice), pipe bender and pipe cutter. So, my logical way of thinking was, if the tool is no good, I'd have a pipe cutter and pipe bender for £14 😊. 
My logic was correct, the tool created a flare, but it left pinch mark on the pipe where its clamped. I wasn't happy with that, so bought the tool below. Believe me, this is the tool to have, so easy. Oh, I've paid £14 for a mini tube cutter !!!😒. Didn't use the pipe bender either, the ones we call "thumbs" did a better job. ( I must ignore Logic in the future ). From memory, the tool is called Franklin hand held pipe flaring tool. Plenty on the internet on how to use it, and paid about £30.



Here's an example of my first flares. Top one is a bubble flare for going into "T" pieces and bottom one is double flare.
 These took me about 5 mins to do as a quick trial. The tool comes with instructions and my advice is to follow them i.e. the prep of the pipe before creating the flare makes all the difference to the end result.

My Brake Master Cylinder has only 2 outputs, so I have to use a "T" piece to split the pipes for the front brakes. Oh, by the way, I'm using Kunifer brake pipe (copper and nickel) instead of the standard copper as it's more resistant to "work hardening" (becoming brittle when bending). I had no trouble bending or working with it.

Other builders have used plastic pipe over the  piping when it comes to corners and where it touches the chassis. I didn't like that idea so I just kept the pipe away from the chassis !
 I'm spacing my P clips every 150 mm as it hold the pipe nice and rigid in place ( well I will be when i get more clips)



Here's a tip for you'll. 
When drilling the holes for the tunnel panels, I spaced them at 150 mm, and drilled all the way through the square tubing, that way it gave me the holes to attach my p clips for my brake pipes without wondering how i would get my drill in such a small space.

4 way union for rear brake pipes nd brake switch.
p.s. Don't use masking tape to protect your chassis !!

Brake pipe going to rear braided hoses.

SUMMARY
Before cutting any pipe I thought through how I wanted the pipes routed, how will it look, will it get in the way of any other components, will the bends be too tight.
I used thick cord (about 5 mm thick) to trace the route, cut the pipe and flared the ends with relevant connections. Where it came to bends, I used some thick (again approx 5 mm thick) earthing cable which held the shape well and transferred that to the pipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment